Sunday, May 14, 2017

Hallmark Moment

Once a year Hallmark will print up a bunch of cards that proudly and loving exclaim "Happy Mother's Day".   But not everyone celebrates the second Sunday in May as a special day.  Take my adult kid for example.  Somewhere around the third or fourth grade I stopped taking him out to get a card and gift for me, because I thought he should (by that age) be able to come up with ideas on his own.  He had a different thought and that was not to recognize Mother's Day as anything different than the other 364 days of the year. So there was no card and/or gift for me.

 I spent the next umpteen years becoming bitter from all the hype in the United States because I was not part of this celebration. I would start about a week before that Sunday picking him apart and by Mother's Day we would be at odds with each other.  And it didn't help when friends and family would ask "So what are the kid's plans for Mother's Day?".  Secretly I knew probably not much, if anything, was going to happen.  There were years the kid would forget to wish me a Happy Mother's Day.  And I was sure that he had committed a crime in the hearts of all mothers by forgetting.  My negative thoughts about being left out of this Hallmark moment created more negative vibration in my life and I would become depressed for one week every year.

Then, 3 years ago, something changed in my life.  I found a New Thought Church, Creative Living Fellowship.  They stressed the importance of staying in the moment and how I reacted to that moment was what I would manifest.  I discovered that I had been overlooking a simple yet very important truth and that was; I had been and still was celebrating Mother's Day for 365 days a year.  I have always had a kid who showed me love 365 days a year.  He is polite, respectful, humorous, a committed family member, patient, honest, kind, compassionate, and says he loves me for no reason at any given moment (awesome gratitude). This Mother's Day he is twenty-one and still forgot the Hallmark occasion.  But you won't hear me complaining.    


No comments: